Sunday, July 13, 2008

LA RECOMMENDATIONS PART I






Have you heard of Yelp?  Well, I'm a member and I get so offended when people trash my favorite restaurants. It's pretty ridiculous how angry I get. And funny.

As mentioned in a previous post, a good friend from the UK came for a visit en route to Costa Rica last weekend. We only had Saturday night, all day Sunday, and Monday night together. It was her first time ever in LA, so I really wanted to show her the best of the best, but at the same time, I didn't want to overwhelm her.

Being borderline OCD when it comes to organizing things, I made a list (and organized it by area):

Downtown/Silverlake/Melrose/Hollywood

Sushi Gen - My all time favorite. I actually went to Sushi Gen (pronounced like the g in gun) the day my boyfriend took these pictures. While doing research for my friend's visit, I looked up Sushi Gen on Yelp to see how everyone else liked it. Every negative comment was like a stab to the heart. It hurts guys. It's fine and I understand if you don't like it because the service or the quality of food was poor the one time you went. I get it, I've had a couple of bad experiences there too. A rude waitress, a not so fresh slab of maguro, or even a long wait. Trust me, I've been there. But just like a relationship, you shouldn't write it off so easily. It's delicious, filling, authentic, and great value for your money. Is there a better sushi restaurant in LA? Absolutely, if you want to spend a lot more. But, Sushi Gen is definitely the top of the line for its price range. It's damn good.

The Standard Rooftop Bar - Pretentious? A little. It's got a good view of the city though and in a strange European-ish way, it's very LA.

American Apparel (The Warehouse) - Only open from Monday through Friday, but more fun than your typical American Apparel shop. Made in Downtown LA.

Pho Siam - Best Thai massage place in the city! $40 for a full hour. Remember to turn off your cell phone!

Edison - This venue is so badass. Used to be the old Edison power plant, but has now been transformed into a lounge. Watch the steps.

Seven Grand - "There is definitely a bookish, masculine vibe to the place...the kind of joint you'd find in a Fitzgerald, Hemingway, or Miller (Henry, not Arthur)...a great place to drink boubon, puff on a cigar and pretend to be in an imaginary boys club. Even if you're a girl." - LA Weekly, June 2007

Intelligentsia - Cute cafe with seasonal coffees.

The Village Idiot - Chill and unpretentious restaurant/bar with very HIGH ceilings.

The Kitchen - Good ol' no frills homestyle American food. The drinks are huge and there are free refills! Wee!

Amoeba - I love Amoeba. Though the LA store doesn't have a good $4 section like its Haight St. counterpart and (from what my boyfriend claims) the general selection is better up north, I still love it. My Jazz, Hip Hop and World sections are always stocked with what I want. Plus, they have some pretty neat acts from time to time. I could spend hours in there.

Alright, this is to be continued. It's getting too long and I haven't even started on the Westside, the beaches, or the best thing about travel (besides learning and experiencing other cultures), shopping.

Top: Purchased in HK
Shorts: Forever
Shoes: Gap

20 comments:

Pomysłodajnia said...

I want your shorts!!

Shen-Shen said...

I love your shorts!

And ahhh, these restaurants all sounds so exciting. I would be quite distressed if someone started trashing my fave restaurants too! I've been dying to go to LA, so if I ever do I'm going to eat at these places, haha.

Anonymous said...

oo if i ever go to LA i'll keep your list in mind

and love the gryson (i assume it is one at least) for target bag, very refreshing white!

Times of Glory said...

Dear, your look soooooooo gorgeous in pictures! The shorts are very sweet and I totally love your bag xxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

i cannot believe how well organized you are and since i also live in LA, i'm going to take notes since this is the best agenda for an out-of-town guest. you've hit all the best places (some trendy, some just hte locals would know about). job very well done! hope you had fun.
xo

meliindaa. said...

american apparel the warehouse?? that sounds like fun. i really like where you take your pictures and how all the skyscrapers are in the backround!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I love your shorts. I want to come visit you! That list is terrific. I'm certain your friend had a marvelous time.

Hannah Bee said...

You look so great! And thanks for that list. If I ever come to LA I will know what places to hit up first.

You've been tagged!

Hummingbird said...

thanks for all the links, looks like a kind of trip to L.A. to me! bye the way, you look wonderful, and your boyfriend´s a good photographer too. many xx!

yiqin; said...

I love your blue shoes & the details of the shorts are amazing!!!

HANNAH-ZOË said...

I love your bag and it sounds like you showed you friend around very well! i bet she liked it.

Unknown said...

I love that blouse and those shoes!!! Great outfit!

AsianCajuns said...

I love that top.

Even though we have family in LA, Lauren and I have never been. However, if we ever make it out there, we'll get in touch and you'll have to take us to the AA warehouse - it sounds like soooo much fun!

Pamcasso said...

love the pop of color with your ballet flats. Gorgeous pix!

RILEY said...

i'm gonna say that your blog is pretttty boss. i love the pictures, and i'll definitely have to bookmark this because my dad promised to bring me to L.A. with him the next time he was there on buisness.

link?

Couture Carrie said...

Cool post, very informative, and love the variety of pics.
Your bag is very Bottega Veneta - loving it!

Always In Style said...

I want your shorts too...gosh, I really need to get back to Forever 21!

Ida said...

I need to visit L.A. I think *lol* I just love how passionate you are about everything. You so remind me of myself;))

And you are looking fab in those shorts. Lovely bag, too!

La Fille said...

Wauw, really beautiful pictures. nice you, nice background!

Fashion Is Poison said...

i LOVE yelp :]